Wednesday, January 21, 2009

At Last...

After a full day of Inauguration festivities, I was all TV'd out, shut it off to make dinner and get on with my life, and missed this...



Aside from the indescribably delicious fact that the Obamas are the suavest, coolest, sexiest people on the planet; that Barack makes the rest of us men feel profoundly inadequate with one tiny lock of his knee in a slow dance (crap, why didn't I think of that?); and unless they're consummate, Oscar-worthy actors, these two beautiful people love each other very, very much, another observation suggests itself: Beyoncé can sing the living shit out of a standard. I like that.

4 comments:

Will Divide said...

The girl was awfully damn fine in Cadillac Records, which only shows how wretched recording production values are now.

gruele?

Jeremy said...

Yeah, but what was she wearing? I mean Beyonce, not Mrs First Lady.

I'll see your gruele and roaise you a Phitokic.

Kevin WOlf said...

I missed this performance, too, until I saw clips the following morning.

My misty-eyed musical moment surprised me: at the Inauguration when the quartet played "Simple Aire." Not sure why, but I choked up. Maybe it was that a little class was on exhibit after eight years of a faux cowboy with his shitkicker boots up on his desk.

Aretha was great too. "Queen of Soul" - a majestic and well-earned sobriquet but still not enough.

Will Divide said...

I've been using "The Mighty Queen of Soul" for years.