Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Signs of the Times

Driving Betty to work this morning, we passed this sign on the Clara Barton Parkway:


"Leave Nothing of Value"....

Well! I know the economy's in the crapper, but this is laying on a bit thick. Easy enough to comply with, at any rate -- as attested by a glance at the whistling emptiness that is my 401(k) these days.

But it's a hair nihilistic, don't you think? Is the Parks Department, or the Highway Commission, or whoever erected this sad exhortation, prepared to deal with the sort of society they're advocating here? One in which we say to our children and grandchildren, "I'm sorry, my dears, there's nothing in my will for you; I've spent my entire fortune on fripperies and expensive travel with cocaine and hookers -- because the Department of the Interior said I should! They made a sign!"

And they're so inarticulate! What is their definition of "value"? There are so many intangible things that I would have to give up in order to obey the sign: the love of my family and friends, my fondness for music and laughter and love, for sun-dappled lawns, for frosty windows on a clear, cold morning, for Long Woks on the beach (she's such a dear), for composing loony, wall-eyed blog-posts....

My blog! I value my blog! Must that be discarded as well? Truly?

Well, then. So long. It's been good to know you.

11 comments:

RobotSlave said...

You forgot "Brown paper packages tied up with string..."

[evil earbug-villain laugh]

Anonymous said...

I heard Long Woks ran of with Short Pierre...

Roger D. Parish said...

Woodie Guthrie - "So Long, It's Been Good to Know You"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqiblXFlZuk

reincheque said...

If you got a really good photograph of that sing, it would make a great album cover...

Regards,


djp

Anonymous said...

maybe it's a Top Of The Day to a troupe of novice burglars who've come to the area.

PS Neddie, there's a Name That Tune over at my place that seems like it should be right up yr alley.

Anonymous said...

where Top = Tip

BlkTshrtXL said...

Funny that a government department would embrace General Sherman's theory....

Anonymous said...

If I read that correctly you just
announced the end of this blog.
Am I reading to much into this post?

Neddie said...

Am I reading to much into this post?

I know I've been posting irregularly, due to daytime restrictions on my Internet access, but...

Yes.

You are reading too much into a casual joke.

Anonymous said...

Define value. ;-)

Bobby Lightfoot said...

Reckon you gotta have it to leave it.