Saturday, January 30, 2010

Gattungswesen


From the annals of the World's Shittiest Jobs...

Freddie and I saw this poor bastard this morning as we made our morning rounds. Corner of Route 15 and Edwards Ferry Road in Leesburg. At the moment of the snap, the car's outside thermometer read 17 degrees, and snow was bucketing down.

Not something you'd subject yourself to unless you really had to.

(In case you have trouble reading the photo, the guy's dressed up as the Statue of Liberty, holding a sign that reads, "Liberty Tax" -- a promotional shill for a nearby tax-prep shop.)

(Post title explanation.)

5 comments:

Rob Hill said...

I saw one of these very same entities recently on a street in Queens, in similarly unfavorable weather. Assuming it was a mentally unbalanced person, I crossed the street to avoid contact. Next time I'll show a little more compassion & at least take their damn flyer.

Roger D. Parish said...

Down here, in sometimes-sunny southwest Florida, the poor blighters have to contend with the blazing sun. Whenever I have seen them, they seem quite animated, dancing around and waving their sign, or waving to traffic. I have also seen an Uncle Sam-costumed shill.

I don't envy you your weather, Neddie. We've experienced it often enough that I feel no guilt about sitting here in shirtsleeves, short and sandals. We'll see what the gods brew up upon our return on the Ides of March.

Will Divide said...

You'll find them in Chicago too, sad looking men skulking around in Statue of Liberty drag--huddled, yearning to breathe free.

bobby lightfoot said...

English major.

Anonymous said...

I don't envy you your weather, Neddie. We've experienced it often enough that I feel no guilt about sitting here in shirtsleeves, short and sandals. We'll see what the gods brew up upon our return on the Ides of March hi, I read your post and it was amazing , KEEP IT, great job.
t-shirt torino