Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Trabajando

I'm back working.

Won't say exactly where in public, but it's a good gig, I like the people, and they're not evil.

I did enjoy unemployment to its fullest, but it was time. You can get yourself into mighty bad habits, and I found it quite disconcerting not to be able, occasionally, to say with confidence what day of the week it was. Knowing where the next paycheck is coming from, and that the kiddiewinks are covered by health insurance, are both Very Good Things.

Today I found myself actually enjoying drawing flow-charts for an online registration system in OmniGraffle. Enjoying stretching the mental muscles, feeling blood returning to parts of the brain that had atrophied a bit.

Leaving the house at 8 AM? Not so much.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

"...and they're not evil."


Ah, they've got a DC location, do they? Well, welcome back to the rat race, then!

Anonymous said...

Relieved to see you're back in the workforce. It looks like a bad time to be unemployed over there at the moment.

Anonymous said...

Good on ya, Neddie.

Anonymous said...

...and the free office supplies. I miss them. Walking over to the cabinette. Fondeling the pink pearls. Choosing a Hi-Lite color of the day. Hole puncher? Maybe I'll need it. Yellow pads yearning to be filled with meeting notes and fleeting thoughts. Sigh...

EmployeeoftheMonth said...

"Smithers, who's that? New man?"

"One of your organ donors from sector G, Sir"

Welcome back to work, Neddie. Great news.

weadbzm, indeed

Yodood said...

Not too long ago you were praising the life of a commissioned music researcher for a book you were writing — not so commissioned, eh?

Neddie said...

I'm still doing that as well, G&G. It's just that that particular avenue of productivity won't put much food on the table. We work toward desired outcomes; they don't happen overnight.

Halloween Jack said...

Hurrah!

JD said...

Lucky man! Still pounding the pavement here in the frozen Midwest...

Anonymous said...

Well, call me a contrarian, but I was hopin' that you were goin' to make a go of the writing gig...and work independent of the man.... But consider yourself graced to be among the ranks of the gainfully employed!!

Kevin WOlf said...

Good for you, Neddie.

PS: Are they still hiring? 'Cause I'm still looking...